Background checks for employees and volunteers are requested through the individual faith community and
processed at the diocesan level. The diocesan office will cover the expenses of all Praesidium Background Checks processed.
The diocese has an account with Praesidium, Inc., the service recommended by the Church Pension Fund. Praesidium’s Confidence Package includes a Multi-state criminal background check, National sex offender registry check, Alias search,
and Social Security number verification.
Please note: the diocese will not run credit checks. These are completed online; there are no paper copies.
Background checks are required for:
- All members of the clergy whether stipendary or non-stipendiary
- All interns and persons in the ordination process
- All paid lay staff (age 16 and older). ln compliance with HB 3025, known as “Ban the Box”, background checks on potential employees are not to be done until after their first interview.
- All lay volunteers (age 16 and older) who work with children and youth
- Lay volunteers (age 16 and older) who have pastoral relationships such as spiritual directors, Stephen ministers, Lay Eucharistic Visitors, Eucharistic Ministers, Catechists, etc.
- Church treasurers, wardens, vestry/BAC members, members of other boards
BACKGROUND CHECK ADMINISTRATOR
Each Rector/Vicar/Priest-in-charge (or Senior Warden) should designate a person in their faith community as the Local Background Check Administrator. That person must be able to handle confidential information, determine those needing background checks, request background checks, and maintain records of those whose reports have been completed.
If a faith community cannot do so locally, please contact the diocesan office for assistance.
If the background check meets the diocesan criteria, the local administrator is notified that the background check has been completed. If the background check indicates a potential issue, the applicant is notified under the terms of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Final decisions about a person’s ability to serve are made by the Bishop in consultation with local clergy.
If you need assistance with Background Checks, please contact
Tamara Knowles, Administrative Assistant, at TKnowles@ecwo.org.