Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations in Oregon with historical roots in and ongoing leadership representation or financial support from
the Episcopal Church in Western Oregon or the bishop.
WILLIAM TEMPLE HOUSE began in 1965 by a group of Episcopalians as a counseling center in Northwest Portland. Named after the late Archbishop of Canterbury, William Temple House is a place of healing and hope that offers food, counseling, clothing, social services, household items, and spiritual care to the community.
The vision of William Temple House is that everyone in our community is fully nourished — emotionally, physically, and spiritually. They also run a thrift store on NW Glisan St. in Portland, where 100% of the proceeds support their services. The bishop of the Episcopal Church in Western Oregon has a seat on their board of directors. Learn more at williamtemple.org.
OREGON EPISCOPAL SCHOOL (OES) is a college preparatory, independent school serving nearly 880 students from Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12, including approximately 60 boarding students from around the world in Grades 9-12. OES was originally founded in 1869 as the all-girls school St. Helen’s Hall by the Rt. Rev. Benjamin Wistar Morris. In 1972 St. Helen’s Hall was merged with the all-boys school, Bishop Dagwell Hall, and was renamed the Oregon Episcopal School.
Today, OES sits on a 59-acre campus in the Southwest hills of Portland. The bishop of the Episcopal Church in Western Oregon serves as the chair of OES’ board of trustees. Learn more at OES.edu.
GOOD SAMARITAN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER’S history includes an important connection with the Episcopal Church in Western Oregon, which enabled the hospital’s reorganization as a not-for-profit facility in 1948 when the for-profit Corvallis General Hospital fell upon challenging times. The diocese and Good Samaritan Episcopal Church continue to be represented on the hospital’s Board of Directors, and its faith-based tradition is reflected in the annual Social Accountability Grants the hospital makes in support of a variety of local health initiatives. These grants are informed by health priorities identified in the hospital’s community health assessments, which are conducted every three years.
Learn more at samhealth.org.
LEGACY GOOD SAMARITAN MEDICAL CENTER began as the Good Samaritan Hospital, founded in 1875 by The Episcopal Church. Over the decades, the hospital joined with other regional hospitals in the community to form Legacy Health Medical Center, a comprehensive system of hospitals, service centers, and clinics serving the Portland and Vancouver metro area and mid-Willamette Valley. The bishop of the Episcopal Church in Western Oregon has a seat on their board of trustees.
Learn more at legacyhealth.org.
RAHAB’S SISTERS was founded in 2003 by a group of Episcopal clergywomen, both priests and deacons, in Portland, Oregon, dedicated to radical hospitality. Rahab’s Sisters builds community with women and gender-diverse persons marginalized by poverty, houselessness, sex work, violence, and substance abuse. They host a weekly meal, mental health support groups, food, clothing, hygiene products, and other community-building programs.
The rector of Ss. Peter & Paul Episcopal Church, Portland, is an ex-officio member of their board of directors. Learn more at rahabs-sisters.org.
CENTER FOR COMMUNITY COUNSELING was founded in 1978 by a parishioner at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Eugene, as the Aslan Counseling Center, on the church’s property. Today it continues to serve the community of Lane County, offering long-term counseling on a sliding scale. The Center for Community Counseling offers individual counseling sessions, group mentoring, and a variety of supportive classes.
The Episcopal Church in Western Oregon has a designated representative on their board of directors. Learn more at ccceugene.org.
SAMARITAN VILLAGE first opened its doors in 1965, offering a retirement community for low-income seniors of any faith. Built on the campus of Good Samaritan Episcopal Church, the village provides affordable housing in a centrally located neighborhood near community health facilities and public transit.
Samaritan Village is a nonprofit organization owned by the Episcopal Church in Western Oregon. The board of directors is appointed by the vestry of Good Samaritan Episcopal Church, Corvallis.