The Episcopal Church rolled out a new curriculum in 2022, which is now called Safe Church, Safe Communities. Currently, 9 of 10 modules have been published. In order to be consistent with the policies of The Episcopal Church, Safe Church training now needs to be renewed every three years. Praesidium, the platform that hosts the Safe Church training, recommends renewing every year and will automatically send notices for renewal. Those notices can be ignored until your 3-year renewal is due.
How to Register for Safe Church Training:
- Complete the registration form here or available at the link below.
- The Safe Church Coordinator will create an account on Prasidium Academy for you and send you an invitation link to the platform.
- You will receive that invitation link via an email from Prasidium Academy, email@example.com, with instructions about the courses required for certification. Please note: the system may take up to one week to generate an invitation link to Praesidium Academy, the platform for Safe Church. Check your spam/junk folder if you do not see the email.
- Once you accept the invitation from Praesidium Academy, you will need to create a password for your account.
- Then you can begin taking the courses.
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Safe Church Registration Form
If you need assistance, please contact
Tamara Knowles, Safe Church Administrator, at TKnowles@ecwo.org.
Who should take the training and why?
In striving to live out our Baptismal Covenant, we are called to respect the dignity of every human being. As the people of God in the Episcopal Church in Western Oregon, we are committed to the safety of all God’s people. This recommendation outlines who is required to complete the Safe Church, Safe Communities training, which needs to be renewed every three years.
- All members of the clergy, whether stipendiary or non-stipendiary
- All interns and persons in the ordination process
- All paid employees
- All unpaid lay leadership (wardens, treasurers, vestry/BAC members, members of other boards)
- The following ministers licensed under Canon III.4: Pastoral Leaders, Worship Leaders, Preachers, Eucharistic Ministers, Eucharistic Visitors, and Catechists
- All volunteers (age 16 and over) who work with children and youth. Volunteers aged 12-14 are welcome to take the training with a parent. We do not recommend this training for children under 12.
- Other persons who have pastoral relationships (Stephen ministers, spiritual directors, counselors, peer mentors, life coaches, etc.)
Which modules are required by our diocese for certification?
When you log into the platform, scroll down to see a full listing of available courses. Only those courses on the list below are required. All the other courses are optional.
- Policies: Episcopal Church in Western Oregon *+
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Introduction & Theological Background *
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Organizational Rules and Model Policies *
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Healthy Boundaries *
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Abuse & Neglect *
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Bullying *
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Pastoral Relationships *
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Inclusion *
- Safe Church, Safe Communities: Power & Relationships (Power Imbalances) *
*= available online as of 2-1-23
+ = Some of the language in the currently listed course is outdated. Specifically, the frequency one needs to renew their Safe Church training, the names of contacts, and who is required to take the training. The most current guidance for frequency and who must take Safe Church training courses is on this website page. If you have further questions, please contact the Diocese Safe Church Administrator, Tamara Knowles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ideally, participants complete all required courses within one month (30 days) of enrolling online. However, since not all the courses from new curriculum are currently available, you will need to watch the Diocesan Digest for the announcement of when all the courses are available. Praesidium Academy will email certifications upon completion.
How much time does it take?
Completing the modules of the Safe Church, Safe Communities training takes an average of 5-6 hours.
What is the cost?
Safe Church, Safe Communities training are free to everyone in our diocese.
How often do we need to renew?
The Episcopal Church requires that Safe Church, Safe Communities training be renewed every 3 years.