Tucked into the scenic Willamette Valley town of Monmouth, St. Hilda’s Episcopal Church is a small, close-knit community. With around 25 parishioners, everyone works hard together to accomplish their goals and to take care of each other, no matter what the need may be.
Recently the parish celebrated the dedication of their new labyrinth. This was created as a sacred space of remembrance to honor deceased parishioners and their families, and is also open to neighbors to enjoy the beautiful setting and have a space for personal reflection. On September 30th, the Rev. Jon Goman, the parish’s long-term supply priest, blessed the statue “Ammonite” by artist Ann Lahr, accompanied by Senior Warden Michelle Taylor and Richard Halter.
St. Hilda’s values community building, both within the church and within the larger community. One demonstration of this is their support of the ecumenical campus ministry at Western Oregon University. Two church members serve on the ministry board, and the ministry staff use the church for office and meeting space.
Using proceeds from their annual 4th of July cookie booth fundraiser, St. Hilda’s provides a Blessing Box (free to take food) outside the church for anyone in need, contributes to the Ella Curan community food bank and support Habitat to Humanity.
Since its first service in 1925, St. Hilda’s has lived out its commitment to be a welcoming, compassionate group of people striving to be the hands of Christ in the world and in Monmouth.
Visit the St. Hilda’s website.